Thursday, September 13, 2012

A Day in the Life

Since I've neglected the blog (we're working on catching up... maybe after October...)... I wanted to capture life, everyday these days.  Here's the girls playing what Sabrina calls "footsie wootsie" (because that's what I said it was called) and what Celia calls: "fight with feet!"


We're still figuring things out since getting back from vacation and Celia starting preschool, but most of our preschool days (Tuesday-Thursday) go pretty much like today:

8AM - Girls wake up.  Celia comes out of her room by herself (sometimes dressed).  Sabrina is in her bed saying: "Wake up now mommy!  Binky away.  Wake up now, Mommy."

8:30AM - The girls are playing around while I finish up cooking the oatmeal.  Celia usually goes right for the paper and crayons and starts drawing elaborate pictures.  Sabrina gets out the stickers and puts them all over paper and herself.  (Yesterday she put stickers all over the lenses of her glasses and wanted to see herself in the mirror but looked pretty drunk trying to walk to the mirror without being able to see through the stickers.)

9AM - We start the oatmeal.  Some days this goes pretty quickly.  Other days, this can go until after 10.  Celia helps Sabrina take bites (though Sabrina usually does it all by herself, sometimes she just wants Celia to feed her and other times she just wants attention).  I read the girls a story from the scriptures using the gospel art book.  I told them about the City of Enoch: "Everyone in the city was so good, Heavenly Father took them all up to heaven to live with Him."  Celia:  "Everyone was nice?  And they shared all their toys?  And they even always took turns even?"  Shocking, I know.

9:30-10:30ishAM - I do my chore (really trying to implement my own chore chart) take a shower and the girls do their chore (also implementing chore chart: dusting, sanitizing light switches, mopping, etc... changes everyday).  Celia takes this really seriously and shows Sabrina what to do.  Sabrina usually goes through about ten wipes in the process of whatever they're doing.

10:30-11:30 - The girls play with toys, color, Celia complains about preschool not starting yet.

11:30-12 - The girls eat lunch.  Way too slowly (probably because they just finished breakfast).  This usually involves Sabrina poking a big hole in her sandwich and both girls shoving as many peas as they can through the hole.  And, inevitably, food in Sabrina's hair.

12:15 - We take Celia to school.  In the car, Celia says: "Mom!  I see a sign that says: 'One Way.'"  I say: "Good reading, Celia!"  Sabrina says:  "Sign say 'one way.'  Good reading, too?"  I say:  "Yes, very good Sabrina."  (Celia is a full reader now.  She can read anything she wants.  If she tries, she can get the hard words, too, but sometimes she gets lazy.)

12:30 - We drop Celia off at preschool.  I have to take her downstairs to her classroom to sign her in.  Sabrina often insists on taking her coat off and walking around the room for a few seconds so she can feel like she went to preschool too.  We give Celia hugs and kisses and we get back in the car.

12:45 - I read Sabrina a story, give her a Toy Story board book and a binky, and put her to bed.  She screams:  "No Mommy!  Wake up now!"  But once she gets in her bed and has a binky, she doesn't protest and falls asleep immediately.  (I get in my bed upstairs and work during the nap.)

2:35 - I wake Sabrina up.  She always stands up immediately, says: "Hi Mommy," and puts her binky away on the shelf next to the bed (it's actually just a leaf to our dining room table that's propped up on it's side... perfect binky table).  We put on shoes and coats and get in the car to go get Celia.  There are always lots of school buses around on the way to pick up Celia.  Sabrina narrates our ride: "Woah!  School bus!  Right there!  Giant mommy one!  Mommy school bus, mommy.  Passed it though.  Another one later.  Oh!  Right there!  Another one school bus!  Baby one!"

3:00 - Celia is outside playing on the playground with the other kids.  We have to go into her classroom to sign her out.  Sabrina comes with me and then we go to the window to find Celia.  Sabrina says:  "Oh!  Eee-aaa (Celia) outside now.  ARRRREEE YOUUUU EEE-AAA!  Oh!  There eee is!" and we go outside to get her.  Celia very seriously says:  "No, Mommy.  I want to go down the slide one. more. time."  Sabrina shakes her hands together (much like Wallace does in Wallace and Gromit) and says:  "me too!  me too!"  Once they go down the slide, we get in the car and head home.

3:15-4 - Celia is so tired after preschool, so we all climb in my bed with books and I read to them for 45 minutes.  We also pretend to sleep and wake up.  (Sabrina uses this as a good excuse not to wear her glasses.)

4:00PM - We make sure the house is still clean of toys and I turn on one show for the girls to watch (usually Super Why).  Celia is grumpy and complains that she can only watch one show.  But we play.  She attacks me and I fall over and get her.  Then Sabrina needs a diaper change, so I do that.  Then Celia says: "Mommy.  Let's play a game."  I say: "Okay, what would you like to play."  Celia: "Let's play the game we were just playing."  Me:  "What game was that?"  Celia:  "It's called: Mommy be crazy now.  Kid knocks it over."  (I appreciated the double title a la old movies or the subtitle a la scholarly papers... either route she takes will be approved.)  We play tackle again.

5:00PM - The girls head downstairs to pick out some busy bags, or dry erase boards, and come up and play together.  We usually listen to Disney music on Pandora (though Celia's favorite is when they play "Call me Maybe."  She goes crazy.)  Tom has to take the bus or ride his bike on preschool days, so he doesn't usually get home until 5:30 or 6ish.

6:00ish - We eat dinner.  Celia says:  "But I don't LIKE this" (if it's anything but nachos).

7:00 - We turn on Shakira's "It's time for Africa" on my phone and Celia takes it downstairs to get ready for bed.  She has two songs to sit on the potty and put her jammies on.  We read stories.  The girls wrestle in Celia's bed for a few minutes (About a third of the time, someone gets hurt.  They're tired.)

7:45-8ish - Why has this taken an hour?  We're finally done and they're in bed.  Celia usually reads in her bed for 20-90 minutes (depending on if she had preschool that day).  She opens her curtains (to be able to read) and when she gets tired, she closes them, tucks herself in, and goes to sleep.  Sabrina often makes up reasons for Tom to come visit.  "Daddy!  Nosewipe please daddy!"  After 2-3 times, she falls right to sleep.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love reading about your schedule! Too fun! Jenna loves "Call me Maybe" too. It cracks me up.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed