Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Celia: "Got-For"

Celia's obsession with correct grammar and speech means that there are very few toddler words or phrases left. But "got-for" is one of them. She never says "forgot." Always "got-for." So here are a few that I "got-for" to write:

- For Tom's birthday way back in February, I walked Celia into Fred Meyer. I said: "What do you want to get daddy for his birthday? You can get him anything in the store." She gasped (which is currently her favorite word. She always gasps and then tells us: 'Can you say "Celia, did you gasp?"' Anyway... back to the original story... so she gasped...) and said: "Bananas!" So yes, Tom got a bunch of bananas for his birthday. They were a bit bruised because she went to pick them out and put them in the cart.

- About a month ago, Celia helped me change the laundry. Then she said: "I'm going to wash my teeny tiny friends. They're dirty." She shut the door, waited a minute, then opened it and stuck her head in and said: "HELP! HELP! Oh! Teeny tiny friends! Where are you? Are you in the spots? (referring to the holes in the washer.)" She slammed the door, looked at me and said: "they're still dirty."

- Celia has been refusing to say prayers for about 6 months. If Tom's around it's always "daddy's turn." When she started saying a few prayers a few months ago, it was always the same prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for me to get my wet out and tootles out and poopies out. Please bless our family. Celia and Sabrina and Mommy and Daddy. Please Bless them. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." When we got back from Hope, she said this prayer:
"Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for us to go cabin camping. When we get back, we will fix my shoe (?). Please bless our family, please bless them. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

- Yesterday, she said this prayer... it was blessing her oatmeal if you can't tell: "Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for this day. Thank you for my teeny tiny friends to get their poopies out and hug them (which I hope is referring to hugging the teeny tiny friends while they're scared getting their poopies out). In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." Then, as soon as she was done with the prayer she said: "That was a new one! That was a new prayer!"

- I just made us some rhubarb muffins. Celia's been eating hers at the table. Here's the conversation:
Me: "Is it good?"
Celia: "No."
Me: "It's not good?"
Celia: "Oh yeah, yeah it is. It's good AND fine."
(She's very aware of the fact that I always say "good" and Tom always says "fine." For me, "fine" is worse than "good." For Tom, "fine" is as good as it gets.)

1 comment:

britt said...

how cute! Celia is such a crack up! I love the stories about her teeny tiny friends, especially in the washer.

That's also funny about "fine" and "good." To Roger (and probably most people), "sure" is a simple affirmative; to me though, it is more of a, "I guess" or "You talked me into it" or "I was thinking/planning something else, but at your suggestion, I'll concede." Even still, I always ask Roger, "Your 'sure' or my 'sure'?"

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed