Thursday, April 7, 2011

Cooking with Kids: FAIL


Let me just start by saying that last week, I was Super Mom. It was the first time that I was capable of getting up before my kids and working, playing in the snow, grocery shopping, doing school time with Celia, and straightening up the house and all without feeling tired. Well, Super Mom left town this weekend. This week has been long, hard, tiring, and my patience is gone. Awesome time to decide to make cookies with Celia. (Let me also add that me in the kitchen is not that great anyway. Unless there are no distractions, something major gets left out of the recipe.)

I decided that no-bake cookies (my favorite) are quick and easy. Celia and I could whip up a batch during Sabrina's short morning nap. And we did. Turned out perfect. But they looked a little odd. And just as Sabrina woke up, I realized we forgot the sugar. Yup - main ingredient left out. I got Sabrina out, put her in the Bumbo with toys and set out to whip up another batch while the girls entertained themselves. Nope. Out of oats. At this point, I would have claimed defeat... happily. But you can't do that when you've promised the 3-year-old of the house cookies. (We tasted the other no-bake cookies and learned the word "bitter.") So a Trader Joe's mix (thank you Sue!) of Christmas cookies (Super Mom was not around at Christmastime) had to save the day. By the time I got the dough mixed and rolled out, Sabrina was screaming and Celia was whining about cookies. The mix came with three cookie cutters. Celia made one of each shape and proclaimed she was done. In the chaos, I stomped on one of them so hard I now have a bloody star shape on my foot.

In the end, Celia ate three cookies (enough to entertain her while I wrote this) and I ate enough dough to make me sufficiently queasy. I'll put Tom in charge of baking the rest of the dough after all us girls go to bed tonight.

Super Mom, please come back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this post just really makes we still lived across the way from each other cuz pretty much super mom never comes around my house and its so much better to have cookie melt downs with a neighbor. we have them all the time.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed