Thursday, December 15, 2011

Snowy Days



In Alaska, we have what is called the Chinook Winds.  So after having about 3.5 feet of snow on the ground, in came the Chinook Winds.  They blew like crazy, reached over 110mph in some parts of town, and raised the temperature to near 50 degrees.  We broke record highs.  The Chinooks don't usually come this early (nor do we usually have 3.5 feet of snow by December 1), so it's been a strange winter.  Anyway, the winds melted a ton of the snow, then the temperatures dropped and everything froze over.  It makes the entire city an ice skating rink.  Then Monday morning we woke up to over a foot of fresh snow.  I was so giddy.  I didn't think I would ever say "I love living in the snow!"  but I do!  And school was canceled (didn't really affect us, but still exciting).  Now we didn't get outside on Monday to build a snowman when the temps were sitting right around 32.  We waited until yesterday when the temps had dropped back down to 15 and the snow was back to being way too powdery to hold together.  So I had to improvise with a pile made from the snow plow.  So he looks kinda silly.  But it's really hard making a snowman with this powder.  Meet Hockadoh.  Our snowman.  And then Sabrina took a ride in the sled to the mailbox.  Ah, life in Alaska.  Have I mentioned how great this place is?

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed