Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Alaska: It's Still Snowing

I took a few pictures on my bike ride home last week, when it hadn't been snowing all day, but started coming down hard as soon as I left the office. We have a large network of trails here, many of which are maintained through the winter for cross-country skiers, bikers, dog-walkers, joggers, etc. Recently I've even seen the moose using the plowed trails more, so I think the snow is getting too deep even for them. In some places where the trails closely parallel the roads, the road crews plow the snow to the sides of the road, and then the trail crews have to carve through the berms to clear the trails, so it sometimes feels like I'm riding in a tunnel.

As the snow has piled up around the traffic pole, it seems they've had to carve out an alcove for the crosswalk buttons.

Snow that is plowed up in parking lots and driveways around the city are trucked off piled in several snow dumps around the city. In recent weeks many of the snow dumps have closed because their snow mountains are just getting too high.

This picture was a few weeks ago when the temperatures were in the single digits. When it's that cold I get to work in the morning and find that my breath has frozen on my neck.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Wow! I can't believe you've gotten that much snow! You guys must be getting all of ours -- we've barely gotten any. Not complaining though.... ;)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed